The History of Brewer Hill Cemetery
In 1884 a group of men from the community purchased 4.5 acres of land from Judge Nicholas Brewer for a total of $ 787.50.The plot of land was originally part of the estate of Judge Nicholas Brewer and the Brewer Family, who allowed the servants of prominent white Annapolitians and his/ thier slaves to be buried here. Judge Brewer's father, Nicholas II was born 1771- 1839 and Judge of Orphans Court of Anne Arundel County from 1810-1819. Judge Brewers' father Joseph was born 1745-1844. The purchasers were: William Henry Cooper, William H. Calhoun,Joseph A. Beall, Charles T. Harris, William Phelps, George Davis, Robert M. Davis,Marcellus Hall,James H. Wooten, Allen B.P. Garver, and Joseph Allen.
The group incorporated themselves as The Peoples Brewer Hill Cemetery Corporation of Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Over 7,000 blacks are interred here; with some known buried as early as 1848 before it was purchased from Judge Brewer. Recently found documentation indicates that the earliest burial occurred in 1797. Because Calhoun,Phelps,Hall and George Davis had passed away in the years between 1894 and 1896, the corporation petitioned that it be submitted for individual buyers as parties to the petition of Nicholas Brewer requesting confirmation of the sale. This request was granted by the court. A subsequent response filed by the corporation stated that the group " bought the ( property) for a cemetery for the burial of colored people." The response was submitted by Joseph A. Beall, as president of the Company, and A.B.P. Garver, as secretary.Marcellus Hall was a Undertaker who served the black community within Annapolis, Maryland.